Friday, February 19, 2010

Are you a PC or Mac?

Even if you have never used a computer before, there is a plethora of quizzes online, that would tell you whether you are a PC or Mac (forget the fact that you're a human being) based on your answers to a few personality questions. I came across the following quiz on youthink.com.

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?obj_id=1842

There are a few simple questions about the type of headwear you prefer, your salary, favorite sport, tree, color, music etc. and when you submit your choices, you get the answer. I submitted my choices and this is what I got.

 

The interesting part is what it says: "You like to get value for money and you're much less concerned about how things look vs. what they do for you". It would be interesting to ask Microsoft's Director of Marketing whether he agrees with this universal definition of a Microsoft Windows powered computer. The scary part is - I am a PC. I mean, I would prefer a PC over a Mac any day. I tried rerunning the quiz, changing the parameters to what they were in various stages of my life - IT job in a big city with nice pay, or student in a small town with no pay - and the answer still was PC. The test was scarily accurate.

Since I had no idea about a typical "Mac", I reran the test by filling out the choices that I hated the most. Voila! The answer turned out to be a Mac.

 

The universal definition of a Mac, according to the test, is that Macs like to pay more to be in fashion and are more creative than "businesspeople". It is interesting to see how a brand capitalizes on loyalty shown by the consumer. The PC and the Mac are so ingrained in our daily lives that we have elevated them to a status much beyond what they were intended to be - mere accessories. We went above the step of considering them to be extensions of ourselves and started calling ourselves PCs and Macs. I am sure the marketing folks at Microsoft and Apple are having a hearty laugh at our expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment